Monday 24 June 2013

Why is knitting suddenly an Issue

Well the MSM are at it again. They just need any old excuse to slam into the PM.


I find it amazing how the PM is coping so much flak for what is considered a recreation and is not unknown to the media fraternity. On June the 8th I became aware of Julia's passion for knitting and to be honest was a bit surprised as it was not what I expected from her (especially as she professes to be a Game of Thrones fan that is more my cup of tea)
But I then did a bit of research and discovered that there was an actual International Knit-In public day on the 8th of June hence why there was the photo on Julia's Facebook page. It has also been known in the Press Gallery for a long time that Julia is an avid knitter and it is something that she finds relaxing and assists her to reduce stress.

So why is it that today is the day for a fuss about the fact that the PM is photographed knitting? Oops perhaps it might be that the new sport in town is kick the female leader!

I go sailing. That is my choice of relaxation and it works for me. Others I know, write poetry, some do exercise, some make cheese and others do gardening. We have had PM's who have unusual hobbies such as Keating and his clocks.

Please forgive me but when did the Women's Weekly become a forum for political commentary and why is it expected that all subject matter be about policy? Tony Abbott had spreads in the Women's Weekly along with many other leaders including Malcolm Turnball and John Howard. As the journalist in charge of the story said during an interview this morning these are all contrived setup photos and take forever to get organised and agreed upon.


I could not believe the comments about the fact that as a feminist she should not be seen to be knitting. How is this a factor in the argument for feminism? And then there was the argument that as a republican she shouldn't be knitting for the new royal baby. How does this become a factor? I have met lots of liberals that I consider friends. Do I stop buying presents when they have a child. Sorry makes no valid sense to me.

I see the photo as a clear indication of Julia Gillard's sense of humor and the fact that she, like all good Aussies, has an appreciation of self deprecating humor. Look at the staged manner of the photo with the wool scattered everywhere and Ruben posing so well for the camera. Really the photo is a piece of stage managed art.

All politicians of all persuasions stage manage photo opportunities. Some are less offensive than others, like do we really need to see Mr Abbott in budgie smugglers or lycra?

So back to why knitting is an issue? Well it really just isn't an issue to most people in the electorate and  this is going to be another one of the cases where the MSM are going to get it so wrong again.

The MSM is continuing with its campaign to oust the PM and cause as much disruption as possible to ensure that they get the result they are looking for. They try and say that they need the government to be talking about policy and when it is fed to them all they want to do is talk about distractions that they are creating.

All over the internet there is support for Julia Gillard her Parties Policy's and her knitting and some journalists are changing their tune as the day progresses. Please lets keep this alternative dissemination of opinion
and facts going.

Now I want her to knit me a really woolly beanie to keep my head warm
with these freezing winter mornings in Melbourne.

No comments:

Post a Comment